Tuesday 12 January 2010

Fanzine Article - University in London with Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield, a town famous for numerous things including textiles, the birthplace of rugby league and even a prime minister. It is also famous for being the home of the first team to become thrice first division champions back in the heady days of the 1920s. These are honourable and well-known facts are they not? Not so in the murky lands that we call ‘down south’.




I, like many eighteen year olds embarked on a three year course at University around September 2008. I was lured down the M1 and to the bright lights of the big city to study at Goldsmiths College. A university that was more famous for beautiful art than the beautiful game meant that I wasn’t expecting to be having to many discussions about the fragility of a Clarke/Butler centre back pairing during the coming season!

However, during the coming weeks I met a range of fans of teams from Reading to Torquay and even a lad in a junior Emley shirt at football trials! (that is another story for another time) As the season progressed the inevitable plastics came out, with my mates Rob and Theo flying the flag for Liverpool, even though they both lived in Slough and Tauton respectively, a short 200 mile pilgrimage to Anfield. Nights spent crying into their over priced pints ensued as Liverpool threw away their title ambitions. In between the moans about Gerrard and Kyut I threw my two cents worth in about our woeful performances under Ternent, especially the 4-0 drubbing at Peterbourgh that I attended.

The increase in town shirt wearing around campus and absences from parties because I was stuck in traffic jam on the way back from MK Dons meant people started to take notice. With one friend affectionately calling me Mr Huddersfield.

Suddenly people who didn’t even know where Huddersfield was on a map were taking an interest. Looking out for scores, commenting on signings and even taking the piss out of hero Andy Booth. It was almost like a mission to get Huddersfield Town known and respected within Goldsmiths University had worked, without them or even me knowing.


Then came the day where all the talking and building up of this great club came into action, Leyton Orient away. Last day of the season. I managed to assemble 9 of my mates to come with me and boy what a game to go to.
Reports all week showed that ticket sales were good, with the majority of fans coming down to send off club legend Andy Booth into happy retirement. With my collection of shirts handed out to the boys and bets placed, the trip to east London and the Coach and Horses pub was made.





We walked in a wall of West Yorkshire where the ale and tales of town had been flowing for a good few hours. It was great to see the looks on my mates faces, giving them a chance to witness a slice of Huddersfield town football camaraderie and culture. The exact same reason why I have followed the terriers all over the country and will continue to do so.






After the great atmosphere of the pub my mates were further treated to it again in the stadium, filling the away end with songs and banners celebrating Booty. The match finished 1-1 but walking away from the ground town had won the hearts and minds of my friends. “Town are defiantly my league one team now and your chairman is legend for the free beer, just a shame we didn’t get any,’ chirped up Rob on the train home. Theo also added ‘great game and a great following, can we go and see more games next season?’

So over the course of one academic year I had spread the word of the town far and wide within Goldsmiths more than I ever hoped, even converting some of the fair weather fans. The best bit is they even all hate Leeds now, mission accomplished.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely quality day for all those involved. Made a good read too. Keep it up Eddy Lad.

    ReplyDelete